[Wine] Re: MS Outlook 2007 won't open

kbbass wineforum-user at winehq.org
Wed Aug 18 10:14:09 CDT 2010

James McKenzie wrote:
> James Mckenzie wrote:
>
> On other item, we tend to push the use of native Linux/UNIX
> applications.  Thunderbird/SeaMonkey, which are native applications can
> connect to IMAP/POP3/SMTP mail delivery systems.  Don't know about
> secure IMAP, but you can always look at the features list.
>
> James McKenzie

But you are pushing against an 800lbs gorilla named Microsoft.

The only reason I would want to use Outlook is that it makes syncing between my desktop, company network, and pda phone very simple - guess which OS my pda phone uses :-( ?

(This is getting off topic, but I have to add my 2 cents worth in.)

Most virus/worm/malware attacks go after MS Windows, and in particular Outlook. That is why I gave up using Outlook, and am trying to stay away from Windows in general. But much of the world is not as enlightened as you or I, so I have to make due. That is where Wine becomes a wonderful tool. Most of the apps that are only for Windows do fairly well under Wine, and that is why I am going through this exercise right now.

Back on topic:

If there is a way to get Outlook running under Wine, even without email support, I would be happy. So any help in getting that accomplished would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks all for your help and comments.

ken