[Wine] Paste in File Manager & keyboard issues

Charles Davis cdavis at mymail.mines.edu
Wed Aug 18 22:04:37 CDT 2010

On 8/18/10 8:42 PM, taokore wrote:
> I am brand new to Wine. Just downloaded it (for OSX) and got it going today. I actually used Winebottler (http://winebottler.kronenberg.org/), but I think my problems are symptoms of Wine itself.
>
> I am using Wine primarily to play my favorite game, Anarchy Online, on my new iMac sans bootcamp. The game installed fine, it loads up and seems to run well, but many of the keys needed for the game activate global commands from OSX instead of in-game commands they should. I am running the game in windowed mode too so the game window is definitely the active one. An example is, when I try to press F10 (or fn+F10) for my in-game settings, OSX's Expose is activated instead. I am not completely sure that this is something I should be addressing here.
This isn't really a Wine problem at all. This is actually the correct
behavior for windowed applications. If you don't like it, you can turn
it off. Open System Preferences, and go to the "Exposé & Spaces"
preference pane and set the hotkeys to '-' (i.e., nothing). If you want
it back, you'll have to remember to open System Preferences again and
reset the hotkeys back to normal.

Eventually, X11 will support changing the display resolution, so games
will be able to go full-screen and this won't be a problem anymore... I
think.

> My second, and so far more troubling problem is that in Wine's File Manager, I cannot by any means I have discovered so far after hours of searching and experimenting, find out how to simply copy some files from my Mac's HDD to a folder in my Wine directory. I need to place some 3rd party maps and tools for my game into the game's directory, but so far copy/paste/move just does not seem to be happening for me in any way.
File->Copy (or press F8).

Remember that Wine windows have their own menus, and they don't use the
Menu Bar at the top of the screen at all.

Also, note that if you have F8 mapped to Exposé (or Spaces), you'll have
to turn that off before you can use F8 in applications.

Just so you know, File Manager doesn't work like modern GUI file
browsers. It comes from the old Windows 3.x days, before drag-and-drop
was common on Windows. If you don't feel comfortable using WineFile, try
using the Finder. You can get to Wine's "Drive C" from the Finder by
using the "Go to Folder..." menu item in the "Go" menu (or press
Cmd-Shift-G).

Chip