[Wine] Kontakt doesn't respond to Akai USB MIDI Keyboard

Cosmo Lee cosmolee at cosmolee.com
Wed Aug 18 23:03:17 CDT 2010

Jordan:

Thanks much for your reply!  I actually tried using ALSA, but I couldn't get it to work.  But since you wrote that you got it working, I went back and
started rooting around in winecfg and playing with it some more.  It turns out the problem was that the bit setting in the "DirectSound" pane was on 8
by default.  I set it to 16 and bam, Kontakt worked!  (I wonder why it would work w/ OSS @ 8 bits but not ALSA...)

I also played with the sample rate.  Sound with Kontakt seems to work with winecfg set to either 22050 (the default) or 44100.  I notice that within
Kontakt itself, it is set for a sample rate of 44100.  Kontakt works either if winecfg is set to 22050 or 44100.  Is there a reason to prefer one over
the other?  I don't know much about these things, my guess would be that they should match - the winecfg rate & the Kontakt rate - but Kontakt seems to
run the same either way.

I know that Jack and WineASIO are things I should use eventually, but I wanted to troubleshoot as simply as possible and get one thing to work at a
time.  OK, WineASIO and JACK next...

I see there's also a Jack audio driver under winecfg.  Why isn't that the one to use instead of ALSA if you're running Jack??  Although, I noticed that
the Jack driver doesn't have any MIDI devices show up - only "wave in" and "wave out" devices.

I'm just getting into this Linux Audio stuff, since you seem to know something about these things, is there a resource(s) for things Linux Audio that
you can recommend?

Thanks a bunch,
Cosmo

On Wed Aug 18 21:09 , jordan johnston  sent: