[Wine] error installing wine 1.2

James Mckenzie jjmckenzie51 at earthlink.net
Thu Aug 19 15:41:13 CDT 2010

DOCoSPADEo <wineforum-user at winehq.org> wrote:
>Sent: Aug 19, 2010 1:27 PM
>To: wine-users at winehq.org
>Subject: [Wine]  error installing wine 1.2
>
>I downloaded wine 1.2 because it's the latest stable version.  when I open the folder and click on configure, terminal opens up, and after hundreds of rows of information zipping by, it stops with this at the bottom...
>
>checking whether 16-bit code can be built correctly... no
>configure: error: Xcode 3.x cannot build 16-bit code correctly. Use --disable-win16 if you don't need 16-bit support.
>logout
>
>[Process completed]
>
>what's going on?

XCode that came with MacOSX 10.5 (Leopard)/XCode 3.1, had a broken ld (loader) process where all 16 bit code (not just Wine) would not compile/build correctly.

I'll have to check with XCode 3.2, but I suspect that this problem was fixed.

The code in the configure command needs to be corrected to only 'break' like this with Leopard.

Also, might I suggest a visit to MacPorts.  There is more to building Wine than just downloading the Wine source.

James McKenzie