[Wine] Is Wine intended to support DRM?

James McKenzie jjmckenzie51 at earthlink.net
Sat Aug 21 20:20:24 CDT 2010

leoplan2 wrote:
> dimesio wrote:
>
>> leoplan2 wrote:
>>
>>> For example, the Windows Media DRM, or iTunes DRM...
>>>
>> Windows Media Player DRM won't work in Wine. I don't really know much about iTunes as I don't use it myself, but none of the reports in the AppDB suggest DRM doesn't work in it. http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=application&iId=1347
>>

> ok, is it possible (or difficult) to implement support for some DRM in Wine?. I say this because I'm thinking to support Netflix under Linux, using a hacked version of Wine (w/full support of Silverlight 4) and a Web Client, like a Web Application.
> I'm not trying to break the PlayReady DRM :P

One thing is doesn't Netflix provide Linux support?  If not, I would be
asking for it.

I'll step in and state that Windows DRM appears to be patented.  Now,
that being said, there is nothing that prevents building experimental
code to support DRM but it will be a lengthy work (if you doubt this,
take a look at the progress on DIB in bugzilla.)

Right now, Wine does not support DRM and I don't expect to see it
anytime soon.

James McKenzie