[Wine] Wine 1.2 IE8

James Mckenzie jjmckenzie51 at earthlink.net
Mon Aug 23 16:35:34 CDT 2010

schulte3 <wineforum-user at winehq.org> wrote:
>Sent: Aug 23, 2010 2:17 PM
>To: wine-users at winehq.org
>Subject: [Wine]  Re: Wine 1.2 IE8
>

>James Mckenzie wrote:
>> Diogo Branco <diogobranco at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> > Sent: Aug 23, 2010 4:25 AM
>> > To: wine-users at winehq.org
>> > Subject: [Wine] Wine 1.2 IE8
>> >
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > i have setup Wine 1.2 with winetricks on Ubuntu lucid 32 bits machine.
>> > I want to install ie8, i have read this tutorial
>> > "http://www.wine-reviews.net/wine-reviews/microsoft/internet-explorer-8-on-linux-with-wine.html"
>> > the installation was successful, but when i run iexplorer the explorer
>> > opens dont display any page and then freezes dont know why, can some
>> > one help me solve this?
>> >

>> This is why WE do not support third party scripts/how-tos and other 'trash'.
>>
>> IE8 WILL NOT WORK WITH WINE.  There are too many dll dependencies for now.
>>
>> You learned this lesson the hard way, sorry.  You will have to start all over again and install IE7 through winetricks this time.
>>
>> James McKenzie
>

>IE8 works mostly fine for me. I cannot use the search bars at all but setting google as the homepage is a nice workaround for that. If you're purely using it for testing purposes it works fine.
>
>To the OP, I followed the exact guide you did. However, I installed IE6, then IE8 (both through winetricks) because of a comment made in a test result for
>IE8 in the AppDB. After installing both through winetricks and adding any necessary DLL overrides from the tutorial I just switched the names of the .exe's
>in the ~/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/Internet Explorer to have IE6's .exe (the one in caps) to something different, and IE8's to iexplore.exe. For my
>version of wine, 1.2, I didn't have to download the additional DLLs from winetricks that the tutorial suggests.

winetricks IE8 does NOT install IE8, it 'fakes' the install by setting a few registry keys to make web sites think you have it installed.  The same trickery can be applied to Firefox and Chrome (although the results can be most interesting.)

IE7 IS installed by winetricks IE7.  However, there are calls that IE7 makes to the underlying 'operating system' that we don't support, yet.

James McKenzie