[Wine] how to overwrite DLLs?

John Drescher drescherjm at gmail.com
Wed Aug 25 09:50:06 CDT 2010

>> It's best to install dlls properly and winetricks will help with that.
>
> Sorry, it's still not clear to me. For example: For MixW I have to use
> Microsofts cfgmgr32.dll and setupapi.dll. What I did:
>
> moved the 2 files /home/renner/.wine/drive_c/windows/system32/ out of the way
> and copied these file from a XP machine. After that, I called winecfg and
> defined the load order 'native, build in' for these 2 files.

That would be fine (well ignoring licencing issues) if these .dlls did
not require any install. There are ones where that procedure will
work.

> Well, this was wrong, because (I guess) I moved the 'build in' files away, and
> every application have to use this now.

You can avoid this by using separate prefixes for the programs that
need these microsoft dlls.

http://wiki.winehq.org/FAQ#head-f2f5f3bc795247f11962ea613a1f9e15657ad552

>> It's also best to only install the needed dlls especially if you want
>> help here.
>
> What is the right way? Winetricks is 'only' unefull to install aplications
> like zip or the vb runtime support, or not?

There is quite a few of the Microsoft redistributable packages in
winetricks more than just vb.

John