[Wine] how to overwrite DLLs?

James Mckenzie jjmckenzie51 at earthlink.net
Wed Aug 25 10:07:43 CDT 2010

Michael Renner <michael.renner at gmx.de> wrote:

>Moin,

Moin zuruck!

>I can define the load order for specific applications using winecfg. But what
>is the propper way to copy these DLLs from a 'real' windows box?
Copy them from the Windows box to the program directory for the program you are trying to run.  However, as John and others have pointed out, it is best to use winetricks to do this for you.  It has several Microsoft redistributables (vb, VC++, vs, and vj)
>j ust overwrite the wine-ddl in windows/system32/ ? But isn't this the 'build in'
>DLL, that should be used for applications with load order 'Build in'?

Yes, the 'fake' dll wrapper in windows/system32 IS the built-in dll.  Also, please note there is a growing list of dlls that should NOT be replaced with native as this will break Wine.

The process is:

Create a new wineprefix for the program you are trying to run by:

[code]

env WINEPREFIX=$HOME/<name of new wineprefix>
cd <directory for installation of program>
wine <installer program>
[/code]

This will create a NEW wineprefix and install the program.

Follow the instructions in the FAQ on how to use winetricks.

Load in the redistributables/dlls you need.  Remember place Windows dlls in the SAME directory as the executables needed to run your program

winecfg
change the order of the dlls you just loaded.

IMPORTANT:  Create or update a bug report for each dll you needed to load and each function within the dll that is missing/incorrect to allow your program to run.  Without this information, the requirement to load Windows dlls will not be eliminated.

Run your program(s).  Note any difficulties and problems encountered/overcome in the Applications Database.

Please link bug reports to the associated Applications Database entry affected by the bug.

Thank you.

James McKenzie