[Wine] Wine 1.2 on Mac Leopard, Civ4 startup error "Failed Initiating Python"

Michael Collins mercutio.viz at gmail.com
Thu Aug 26 19:00:52 CDT 2010

Hi all,

I'm hoping that someone has seen this one before. I am trying to get
Civ4 working in Wine 1.2 on my Mac and I get so far as the stage where
it initializes Python and it fails. I've attached the log at the end
of this transmission. It's relatively short as these things go. I can
see at least one error: 'import site' failed; use -v for traceback but
I have no clue as to how to resolve that in this situation.

Any input would be most welcome.
-MC

Log:

<90>:wine Civilization4.exe
fixme:system:SystemParametersInfoW Unimplemented action: 55 (SPI_SETMOUSEKEYS)
fixme:system:SystemParametersInfoW Unimplemented action: 59 (SPI_SETSTICKYKEYS)
fixme:cursor:CURSORICON_CreateIconFromANI Loading all frames for .ani
cursors not implemented.
err:ole:CoGetClassObject class {9a5ea990-3034-4d6f-9128-01f3c61022bc}
not registered
err:ole:CoGetClassObject no class object
{9a5ea990-3034-4d6f-9128-01f3c61022bc} could be created for context
0x1
err:menubuilder:Process_Link unable to load L"C:\\Program
Files\\Firaxis Games\\Sid Meier's Civilization
4\\CivilizationIV.ini.lnk"
err:menubuilder:wWinMain failed to build menu item for L"C:\\Program
Files\\Firaxis Games\\Sid Meier's Civilization
4\\CivilizationIV.ini.lnk"
fixme:wtsapi:WTSRegisterSessionNotification Stub 0xb0058 0x00000000
[...]
fixme:wave:widDsCreate DirectSoundCapture not implemented
fixme:wave:widDsCreate The (slower) DirectSound HEL mode will be used instead.
err:gsm:GSM_DriverProc libgsm support not compiled in!
err:gsm:GSM_DriverProc libgsm support not compiled in!
err:gsm:GSM_DriverProc libgsm support not compiled in!
err:gsm:GSM_DriverProc libgsm support not compiled in!
err:gsm:GSM_DriverProc libgsm support not compiled in!
err:gsm:GSM_DriverProc libgsm support not compiled in!
err:gsm:GSM_DriverProc libgsm support not compiled in!
fixme:wave:wodDsCreate DirectSound not implemented
fixme:wave:wodDsCreate The (slower) DirectSound HEL mode will be used instead.
fixme:wave:AudioUnit_SetVolume independent left/right volume not
implemented (1.000000, 1.000000)
fixme:cursor:CURSORICON_CreateIconFromANI Loading all frames for .ani
cursors not implemented.
fixme:wave:wodDsCreate DirectSound not implemented
fixme:wave:wodDsCreate The (slower) DirectSound HEL mode will be used instead.
fixme:cursor:CURSORICON_CreateIconFromANI Loading all frames for .ani
cursors not implemented.
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<string>", line 2, in ?
IOError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: "C:\\users\root\\My
Documents\\My Games\\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\\Logs\\PythonErr2.log"
fixme:xrender:XRender_AlphaBlend Unable to AlphaBlend without Xrender
fixme:xrender:XRender_AlphaBlend Unable to AlphaBlend without Xrender
fixme:font:WineEngRemoveFontResourceEx (L"C:\\Program Files\\Firaxis
Games\\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\\assets\\res\\fonts\\sylfaen.ttf",
0, 0x0): stub
fixme:winmm:MMDRV_Exit Closing while ll-driver open
fixme:winmm:MMDRV_Exit Closing while ll-driver open
fixme:winmm:MMDRV_Exit Closing while ll-driver open
err:mmtime:TIME_MMTimeStop Timer still active?!