[Wine] WINE + USB + HD

James McKenzie jjmckenzie51 at earthlink.net
Sat Aug 28 19:46:51 CDT 2010

anon_private wrote:
> Forgot to ask.
>
> WINE can read Windows code.

No, Wine interpets the Windows API/ABI calls and transfers them in
Linux/UNIX understandable code for those functions that are implemented.
> Are there any security implications regarding the introduction of Windows based viruses/malware onto my machine, or contaminating any programmes, when running WINE under the Live UBUNTU CD. I will be using Internet banking.

Wine is capable of running some Windows Malware.  There is a section on
the Wine FAQ (http://wiki.winehq.org/FAQ) on viruses under Wine.  If we
fully implement the Windows API/ABI, viruses dependent on it will run.
The good thing is that Wine is designed to run in UserSpace, so kernel
dependent viruses should not be able to fully fire.

As to malware running under your Browser, that is actually browser
dependent.  There is malware specifically written for Firefox that will
not run under Internet Explorer and vice versa.  The best practice is to
keep up to date on patches for your Browser.  And if you are using IE6,
switch to IE7 (IE6 is very hard to secure and MS supposedly is not
providing patches for it any longer.)