[Wine] Playonlinux and Office 2007

Gert van den Berg wine-users at mohag.net
Sat Dec 4 03:53:39 CST 2010

On Fri, Dec 3, 2010 at 18:32, winefan62 <wineforum-user at winehq.org> wrote:
> 1-POL already use Vanilla wine, builded from official sources, no modification.
> 2-A child can reproduce POL script with wine+winetricks ince POl functions are the SAME as winetricks do but instead of a monolithic monster with 90£ useless functions (for a gamer), they use small simple usefull functions like nstalling d3dx9 dlls or dotnet or vcrun...only th usefull part of winetricks (again, for a gamer).

Is the modifications that it does documented, and easy to switch off?

> 3-POL use tips/tweaks/modifications reported on AppDB tests and AppDB tests only to make the game WORKING, like disabling hardware cursor for Kotor, ect...So arguing about modifications (not you Dan) is ridiculous.

For bug reports, figureing out how and why tha pplication fail is more
important than having a running app.

> I perfectly understand you need to be absolutely sure problems come from wine or the game only, but in his actual form, POL is a GUI doing BASH commands, the EXACT same bash commands you will do installing the game by hand.

If those commands are documented and debug info area produced *before
and after* *every* modification to show that it is needed it might
actually be very useful for bug reports. But it seems that it does a
whole set of undocumented configuration changes which might have weird
interactions with each other without documenting them or allowing them
to be applied / tested progressively.

It is almost like someone complaining with the manufacturer about a
rattle on a car that have a body kit and several other modifications
installed (which can all be the cause of the problem). In order to
figure out if it is the modifications or the base version that cause
the problem it is needed to start with a unmodified version and then
systematically modify it and test it after every step to isolate the
problem.

> Don't tell me, when you see wine error output like this "err:ole:RevokeDragDrop invalid hwnd 0x1012c" it's POL fault, this is indeed wine error output.

It might be if PoL messed around with ole DLL.