[Wine] Re: Playonlinux and Office 2007
wineforum-user at winehq.org
Sun Dec 5 12:33:15 CST 2010
I'm PlayOnLinux and PlayOnMac author.
Let me make some points clearer.
We are aware that PlayOnLinux is not helpful for wine developers and things are going to change.
@ doh123, If we write our own functions, it's because winetricks is unable to interact with PlayOnLinux/PlayOnMac GUI. I chatted with Dan Kegel and he told me that he would modify winetricks to be able to interact with POL gui.
@ oiaohm, In the past, we had a scriptor which made a lot of crappy things in our scripts. He decided to patch every wine version without asking the user. I want to say that we are AGAINST this method and we are correcting the scripts ! Now, we patch wine very very very rarely (for two or three games like Worms World Party), and we explain to the user that it's not an official wine build, and neither winehq nor PlayOnLinux is not responsible for it. User has to check "I agree" to install these version
To sum up, here is what we have planned.
We're going to make some rules into POL scripts. If these rules are not followed (mostly for games that need patched wine version), we will tell the user that winehq can't be reponsible for any bugs found.
When an user install a script, it will :
- Use winetricks for all librairies
- When a script do something (installing a librairie with winetricks, making the prefix, editing a file of the game, and whatever), it will log it into a file in english ! So it will be easy to understand. We have also planned to write why do we do that (which problem we want to encounter). Scriptors will just have to use for example :
- POL_Comment "Installing this library to fix black screen problem (Bug xxx)"
- With this log file, we will also include a lot of information about the computer of the user (cpu info, graphic card, memory, distro, winetricks version used ...)
- We will also attach information about the wine build used (which will NOT be patched). It will contain a dpkg --get-selections on the machine that build the wine version (develelopement libraries) (wine versions are build on debian)
- The user will have access to this log file very easily.
- To help debugging, we have planned to build Wine everyday from the git repository and make it available into PlayOnLinux
With all that efforts, PlayOnLinux scripts wil - I hope - help you to debug very easily
If you have any other suggestion, do not hesitate.
Believe me, we really want to help you, and not to make things difficult for you.
It is very hard, we have a lot of scripts (~500), two million downloaded each year and an ancient scriptor made a lot of ugly things.
We just need you to be comprehensive, we promise we will do a lot of effort.
More information about the wine-users