[Wine] Dungeon Siege slow disk I/O

General_Failure wineforum-user at winehq.org
Sun Dec 5 14:19:58 CST 2010

Yesterday after a lot of trial and error i found a way to get Dungeon siege to install. I installed it in Windows 7 then rebooted to Ubuntu 10.04 to run it. Because fo the way Dungeon Siege works this method is fine. It even asks the user to agree to the EULA.

It is currently updated to the latest 1.11 version. Besides the commonly known intro cut scene bug there is a major issue which has manifested. Disk I/O, most notably saving and loading is very slow. 5 minutes+ for auto saving, and far more than that for world loading.
I tested dungeon siege in Windows. This problem did not occur. I have also tested other programs and games in Wine. this problem does not occur in them either. This issue is a real show stopper. Any ideas would be appreciated.

For those who are interested, slow I/O and intro aside, Dungeon Siege runs in Wine at a faster framerate and with far fewer graphical glitches than Windows 7. So it's not all bad news.