[Wine] How to fix Baldur's Gate 2 in CIDER so it doesn't crash?

plisskin wineforum-user at winehq.org
Mon Dec 6 14:15:27 CST 2010

Hey! Hello, WineHQ. Signed up because I've hit the limits of my ability with CIDER.

I'm using the CIDER version of Baldur's Gate 2 on my Macbook 10.5.8 and I've gotten the game to run fine in Single Player. Unfortunately, I'm unable to run it in multiplayer mode which is a favorite of mine.

Normally one can run a multiplayer TCP/IP game in BG2 so they can import/export self-made characters. In the CIDER version, trying to load or start a TCP/IP game causes the game to CTD with the message

"Unhandled page fault on read access 0x00000000 at address 0x009adf04.

Do you wish to debug it?"

Something that sounds like untranslated Basque to my ears. In some forum comments on the issue I found no solutions, but one man who did find this information:

 "To get multiplayer working for games that use a DirectPlay version prior to 8, place the following DLLs:
dplayx.dll, dpnet.dll, dpnhpast.dll and dpwsockx.dll in this archive in WINE's windows/system32 directory, then add DLL overrides (native,builtin) with WINECFG."

So I found the .dll files and wend and altered the preferences/config file to include,

"dbghelp" = "native, builtin"
"dplayx" = "native, builtin"
"dpnet" = "native, builtin"
"dpnhpast" = "native, builtin"
"dpwsockx" = "native, builtin"

Multiplayer still crashes the game. Since I've hit the wall of my knowledge about how to alter CIDER or WINE and especially how to do so on an OS X machine, I'm looking for ANY information about how I can configure the game to function the way I'd like it to.

Many thanks.