[Wine] Error loading mfc42.dll - failed (error c000007b)

John Drescher drescherjm at gmail.com
Wed Dec 8 08:18:34 CST 2010

On Wed, Dec 8, 2010 at 8:45 AM, cpighin <wineforum-user at winehq.org> wrote:
> :) Thank you dimesio,
>
> I forgot to be in en English spoken forum!
>
> I followed your advice and I came across a mystery that I hope to unravel with experts assistance.
>
> Here's what I did step by step.
>
> - I un-installed Wine1.3.8 by package manager with "remove completely". wine1.3, Wine1.3-gecko and winetricks were removed.
> - I deleted the folder .Wine (owner: Claudio) with the command: rm-r .Wine.
>
> Code:
> Claudio @ Aspire-8530: ~ $ rm-r. wine
> rm: remove write-protected regular file `.wine / drive_c / Programs / Birthday Reminder / instlog.lsl '? y
> Claudio @ Aspire-8530: ~ $
>

> - I checked that the folder was really removed with all its contents.
> - I reinstalled wine1.3 (resulted as version 1.3.8 ) by package manager and Wine1.3-gecko and winetricks were installed as well.
> - After installation I looked for the folder .Wine and I have not found it!

That is the expected and correct result. Installing wine does not
create or touch the .wine folder.

Open the terminal (as a non root user) and type

winecfg

or run any other wine program and the default prefix of .wine should be created

> - then, when I was starting to configure Wine using this guide: http://www.winehq.org/docs/wineusr-guide/config-wine-main#CONFIG-WINDOWS-VERSIONS , and before making any action, I found Wine listed in the Ubuntu applications and, within it, the folder Birthday Reminder and its dedicated launcher (Applications> Wine> Programs> Birthday Reminder> Setup / Check now).
> - I asked myself: Why I find an application which I have not installed?

This is also expected. Deleting .wine does not remove the menu entries.

http://wiki.winehq.org/FAQ#head-8a17a13a8a4cda9e12e24a1ad4e1b1aaf043d581

John