[Wine] using original windows files - how to?

James Mckenzie jjmckenzie51 at earthlink.net
Sun Dec 12 17:27:56 CST 2010

kowaltsky <wineforum-user at winehq.org> wrote:

>Hello,
>Two years ago I bought original Windows and I want give an order to Wine for using windows files.

First:  To use most Windows programs in Wine it is necessary to install the program IN WINE.
Second:  If this breaks, you are basically on your own as you will be told to do what I put in First.

>I know than is nessesery edit winecfg but I dont kow how :(

If you don't know how, we can advise to read the FAQ.  However and again, this might break Wine in ways which you will not like and we will tell you to 'delete your Wine Fake Windows directory (usually $HOME/.wine) and start over and follow First.

>I want migrate from Windows to Linux.

Good.

>Could you help me, please?

Third, do you have the media you installed your programs from?  If so, use them to install the program in Wine.
Fourth, Wine has an Applications Database, please make use of it.  You do not have to create an account unless you want to report results of using a program in Wine or report a as-yet unreported program's functioning in Wine.

The goal of the Wine project is to fully implement the Windows32 and Windows64 API/ABI.  There are parts that are not fully implemented and thus we recommend using native Windows dll files on a case-by-case basis because using a blanket 'replace' dll files, will break your Wine installation and you might have to start over installing files.  Again, avail yourself of the FAQ and read through them and why we do not recommend replacing dll files without good reason.

James McKenzie