[Wine] Need help with a bug in wine

perryh at pluto.rain.com perryh at pluto.rain.com
Mon Dec 13 03:19:01 CST 2010

"Bob Wya" <wineforum-user at winehq.org> wrote:
> Fredd wrote:
> > Yeah, ok. I installed F.E.A.R. from DVD. Also i didn't
> > install it on drive c i installed it on root, drive z.
> 1) RTFM
> Wine FAQ : 7.11. Should I run Wine as root?
> (http://wiki.winehq.org/FAQ#head-96bebfa287b4288974de0df23351f278b0d41014)

I think the "root" that Fredd referred to is "the root directory of
the Linux file system" (specifically, I suspect, a path starting
there, rather than installing into the root directory itself) and
not "the 'root' user identity".

Usually there are places outside one's own home directory which are
writable by unprivileged users, /var/tmp being perhaps the most well
known.  /some/other/mounted/filesystem might be another example.
Yes, either of these is probably better accomplished by mapping
another drive in winecfg.