[Wine] Re: Playonlinux and Office 2007

GNU_Raziel wineforum-user at winehq.org
Mon Dec 13 06:56:46 CST 2010

oiaohm wrote:
> GNU_Raziel.    Wine does not try to forget items Like steam.  But its insanely hard to keep working due to how much it changes and limited supplies of testers for it.

I was not talking about wine team, I was talking about POL/POM team...Since Steam is very popular we must support it but as you said, it can be insanely hard in some cases.

I also understand your need to feed back every release, I hope the POL/POM log project will help you as much as possible.

And for wine "freezing", I personnaly try to update wine version used when I see bug fixes in changelog, like Dragon Age Origins which used wine-1.3.5 until I saw the dotnet 2.0 fix/replacement with mono 2.8.1 with wine-1.3.9. Since Mono is working far better with wine there is no point not updading.
Another example is AoE 3 which have several fixes with wine-1.3.9 so I also updated used wine version for this game.

The main problem is keeping testing again and again, most users will not want to do it...I personally have approximatively 30 games actually reported working with differents wine version, I cannot re-test them all every two weeks, I don't have time to do that, most of my spare time is eating by adding new games to POL/POM database and maintain/upgrade supported games.

We, when the log system will be available and validated by wine team, will encourage POL/POM users to regularly test new wine version and report of course.

Regards,

GNU_Raziel