[Wine] Drop in performance

amithiel wineforum-user at winehq.org
Tue Dec 14 13:31:43 CST 2010

Hello guys! I came here as a last resort. I have followed lots of tutorials, tips and tweaks, nothing seems to help. Ok, first things first:

Laptop info:

 - HP dv6680ep
 - 2.20 Ghz dual-core Processor
 - 128 Mb Nvidia 8400M GS
 - 2Gb RAM

OS:

 - Kubuntu Maverick (all updated)
 - Latest wine version (stable)
 - Latest nvidia drivers from their site (installed manually)

Game:

World of Warcraft (cataclysm)

Aditional info:

This game was installed on windows xp, so it has all updates, no problem, i copied the folder.

-------

On windows xp and 7, i can play wow with no lag at all. perfect. Now, what concerns me is the video details bar.
If you open video options in the game, you will see bar which you can slide you detail levels. Of course mine are in "low" part. Because if i increase it, the game starts lagging.

When i was on windows XP, at first i installed the wrong graphic drivers, so when i went to play, the video details bar was red. Low mode only, even if i want to increase..it won't let me. So, i found out the right drivers, and then the red bar disapeared.

That's why i'm here. If i edit the config file to use the OPENGL, (as recomended by everyone), my bar becomes red. So i'm guessing its because terrible performance:

http://i51.tinypic.com/23iectl.png

See the red bar. Now, let's remove that SET gxApi "opengl" from the config file:

http://i56.tinypic.com/30ax502.jpg ( i had to take a photo with my mobile, because wine crashed everytime i took screenshots...with some damn fatal errors)

Anyway, you can see a little improovment there, my graphics can go to fair now!

BUT, in a practical way, there's no improovment at all, because i still notice video lag on the game. So what can i do then?
With my windows Xp copy, the bar becomes all available, i can even set the graphics to ultra. But i don't, i prefer low because it's super fast gaming experience.

I'm not giving up on ubuntu. I know there's people playing this good with worst computers than mine :s.
By the way, in wine config i'm using both alsa and OSS (both marked).

Here's my WOW config file, if you want to check it out:

Code:
SET locale "enGB"
SET enterWorld "1"
SET patchlist "enGB.patch.battle.net:1119/patch"
SET hwDetect "0"
SET gxRefresh "50"
SET gxMultisampleQuality "0.000000"
SET gxFixLag "0"
SET videoOptionsVersion "4"
SET textureFilteringMode "0"
SET playIntroMovie "4"
SET mouseSpeed "1"
SET Gamma "1.000000"
SET readTOS "1"
SET readEULA "1"
SET readTerminationWithoutNotice "1"
SET showToolsUI "1"
SET accounttype "CT"
SET ChatMusicVolume "0.29999998211861"
SET ChatSoundVolume "0.39999997615814"
SET ChatAmbienceVolume "0.29999998211861"
SET VoiceActivationSensitivity "0.39999997615814"
SET Sound_EnableMusic "0"
SET Sound_SFXVolume "0.60000002384186"
SET Sound_MusicVolume "0.40000000596046"
SET Sound_AmbienceVolume "0.60000002384186"
SET farclip "185"
SET particleDensity "10"
SET rippleDetail "1"
SET reflectionMode "0"
SET shadowTextureSize "2048"
SET weatherDensity "0"
SET realmName "Anachronos"
SET gameTip "22"
SET gxResolution "1280x800"
SET accountName "kiko.oalves at gmail.com"
SET baseMip "1"
SET environmentDetail "50"
SET UIFaster "2"
SET gxVSync "0"

Sorry for the big post, i just want some tips from you experts. thanks so much for your time.