[Wine] Properly rating my submissions

James Mckenzie jjmckenzie51 at earthlink.net
Tue Dec 21 08:06:33 CST 2010

BrandeX <wineforum-user at winehq.org> wrote:
>Sent: Dec 20, 2010 7:58 PM
>To: wine-users at winehq.org
>Subject: [Wine]  Properly rating my submissions
>
>Hi, I just wanted to verify the appdb rules/format so I correctly make my submissions in the future. I was surprised when
>I received an admin edit after submitting: http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?
>sClass=version&iId=22285&iTestingId=59851
>recently. The game worked completely flawlessly for me, so I submitted it as a "Platinum" rating. However, since I had to
>set Wine to "Windows 95" for the installer to not report "OS not supported", it was edited to a "gold" rating. This game
>program doesn't work in genuine Windows XP either, it is an older title designed for Win95.

Thus the game will always be rated 'Gold'.  It cannot run, without modifications, in the current version of Wine.  This includes adding virtual desktop settings in winecfg or using a lower version of Windows Compatibility.

>So, my question in assigning future ratings is, if a NON-WinXP game/app, doesn't install/run in Wine when set to WinXP but
>does when set to the Win version it was designed for, and is otherwise flawless in its operation, does that mean it is in
>fact NOT perfect (platinum)? It sounds like we are asking non XP compatible programs to somehow be XP compatible when
>running through Wine.

If the game does not run in WindowsXP, then it cannot be rated Platinum in Wine.  If you have to add/delete settings, it is not Platinum.  This does not mean that the game does not run flawlessly, it means that a user has to 'tweak' something to get it to run in Wine.

James McKenzie