[Wine] Error Encountered When Running Roller Coaster Tycoon 2

James Mckenzie jjmckenzie51 at earthlink.net
Wed Dec 22 14:10:37 CST 2010

DBrinks <wineforum-user at winehq.org> wrote:
>Sent: Dec 22, 2010 12:12 PM
>To: wine-users at winehq.org
>Subject: [Wine] Re: Error Encountered When Running Roller Coaster Tycoon 2
>
>Unfortunately the patch I applied to the linker through the link you posted did not work.  However, it looks as if the
>linker is updated in OS X 10.6 and supposedly it fixes the problem.

It is.  However, if you build Wine for 64 bit, which is the default on newer Intel platforms, you will not be able to run Windows16 code.  I don't think RT2 was made for Windows3.1/Windows4Workgroups, so you should be just fine.

>I have been thinking about purchasing the update for my girlfriend and I but if I don't have to, I would prefer not to...
>
>Any other suggestions?  Seems like I always see plenty of these 'RCT2 wont work on X operating system' threads.

One thing is that you should update the version of X11 to the one supplied by XQuartz.  It includes a functional xrandr which allows running some programs full screen and to allow real-time resizing of X11 windows for others (Quake2 is my test program for graphics testing and it works beautifully, except the final cutaway scene, in Wine 1.3.9 with XQuartz 2.5.3.  XQuartz 2.6.0 will be installed, maybe tonight, and testing conducted again.)

As always, I recommend using MacPorts or Fink to install Wine as they also pull in required dependencies so you don't have to look all over the Internet for them.

WineSkin and WineBottler make creating custom bottles and installing some programs easier.

James McKenzie