[Wine] Wine not detecting correctly graphic vendor

sombra2eternity wineforum-user at winehq.org
Mon Dec 27 08:34:21 CST 2010

Recently i changed my old 6600GT with a less old HD4850, uninstalled the nvidia drivers and install the propietary catalyst last version. All run perfectly, glxinfo shows direct rendering yes and the corresponding bunch of extensions and glxgears rate clear high.

But when i try to run any 3D app through wine it fails with for example:

$ wine Oblivion.exe
fixme:mixer:ALSA_MixerInit No master control found on HDA ATI HDMI, disabling mixer
fixme:dsalsa:IDsDriverBufferImpl_SetVolumePan (0x1765a8,0x176508): stub
err:wgl:has_opengl Failed to load libGL: libnvidia-tls.so.1: no se puede abrír el archivo de objeto compartido: No existe el archivo o directorio
err:wgl:has_opengl OpenGL support is disabled.
err:d3d_caps:WineD3D_CreateFakeGLContext Can't find a suitable iPixelFormat.
err:d3d:InitAdapters Failed to get a gl context for default adapter
Direct3D9 is not available without OpenGL.
err:d3d_caps:WineD3D_CreateFakeGLContext Can't find a suitable iPixelFormat.
err:d3d:InitAdapters Failed to get a gl context for default adapter
Direct3D9 is not available without OpenGL.
fixme:dinput:SysMouseAImpl_Acquire Clipping cursor to (0,0)-(326,265)
fixme:dinput:SysMouseAImpl_Acquire Clipping cursor to (0,22)-(326,287)
fixme:dinput:SysMouseAImpl_Acquire Clipping cursor to (0,22)-(326,287)
err:mmtime:TIME_MMTimeStop Timer still active?!

as you can see, wine misdetect (I think) my card as a NVIDIA one, trying to load related stuff, but failing because no existence. I saw this year some patches about card detection (mostly related to ram amount) changing the detection method. Anyway, I think this isnt enought realiable because is confusing even the vendor.

I tryed to force IDs via registry but nothing changed, maybe wgl detects available libraries with an unrelated own method, but it trouble because you may know there are few laptops with mix of cards, I think it should be more accurated.

My hw ids are: 02:00.0 0300: 1002:9442 (shapphire HD4850)

Finally, what can I do? maybe if anyone post a working ids I can copy, or a magic "nvidia drivers rubish your system, delete the file xyz" etc
I have deleted by hand all trace of nvidia named libs on my system, but not enought as I can see. Im also on a clean .wine prefix.

Thanks