[Wine] Microsoft Office 2007 installed but won't work

Marcos sombra2eternity at gmail.com
Fri Dec 31 07:40:48 CST 2010

2010/12/30 Dargo101 <wineforum-user at winehq.org>:
> I tried to upgrade wine the following ways, but it won't upgrade:
> 1. System>Administration>Update Manager.  This finds no updates for wine.
> 2. Try to use the method described here at winehq: go to System>Administration>Software Solutions.  This menu item does not exist.  So I tried using System>Administration>Synaptic Package Manager.  This is unable to locate the ppa:ubuntu-wine/ppa.  According to the WINEhq instructions, this was to be entered in the Software Solutions, so I tried to search for it in synaptic.
> 3. I tried downloading the 1.2.2 stable version from wine.  It downloaded; however, I don't know how to install it.  A lot of files downloaded, and I have no clue how to install any of the files.  I am a Linux dummy.  I am used to windows .exe files for installing applications.  I am just trying to get started learning about Linux.  Can I use synaptic package manager to install the files that I downloaded?

Try to find the las wine version (I think of 1.3.10) here:
http://wine.budgetdedicated.com/archive/binary/
You can install it by double clicking it. I'm not linking the exact
file because i dont know if your system is 32bit or 64bit. Maybe to
install wine you need some dependencies which are all inside the link
but you will need to search those at hand.

An example: If you were in lucid and your system is 64bit, the file
you want is 	wine1.3_1.3.10-0ubuntu1~lucidppa1_amd64.deb", note the
lucid and amd64 strings in the name. The dependencies follow the same
naming. Search for wine1.3 only, wine-dev is for development and
wine-dbg is the debugger.

If you want your synaptic to do this for yourself follow the instructions at:
http://www.winehq.org/download/deb

Good Luck