[Wine] Re: Why is this happening?

jorl17 wineforum-user at winehq.org
Tue Feb 2 06:17:12 CST 2010

mrsmiley wrote:
> Would it be because of the fact that wine is currently in a development stage?

Yes and no. Wine is in-progress, so it may have bugs and regressions. However, and as I explain further on, it should never do what it did.

mrsmiley wrote:
> Should I install the current stable version

No. The stable release is badly named. It should be called Milestone release. It only means that certain milestones and targets have been reached and that many bugs were fixed in it to make it as stable as possible. When these Milestones aren't reached, a lot of progress is made, hence the development version. The latest stable is 1 and half years old and has probably more bugs and more incompatility with apps than recent wine versions. Stay with development versions.

What you described should never have happened, it means that your X Server (if not something else) crashed. Wine is a user-mode application so it shouldn't be able to do that -- a browser wouldn't do it either. That is probably the fault of poor graphics drivers which are crashing the system (these drivers/modules are run kernel-mode and can, therefore, crash it).

As to how to fix that, I'm hoping someone other than me will help you, but to get console output, try this:

Code:
wine <path_to_app.exe> 2>&1 winelog.log

That should redirect it to a file called winelog.log in your current directory. If even that fails, you may try something crazier. Change terminal (CTRL+ALT+F4, for instance, and then CTRL+ALT+F7 to get back, probably). While in a TTY terminal (the one at F4), log in with your username and password, and do as you would do normally to run the app. BUT, run it using the DISPLAY of your current X Server.

Code:
DISPLAY=localhost:0.0 wine <path_to_app.exe> 2>&1 winelog.log

 (for example)

To know what your display is, just open a terminal in your main working environment (the one probably at F7) and type
Code:
echo $DISPLAY

That should get you console output.

Cheers,