[Wine] Re: Internet Explorer starts without toolbar or menu

dimesio wineforum-user at winehq.org
Tue Feb 2 06:57:33 CST 2010

Tim Johnson wrote:

> Say what! You're saying IE is not meant for browsing!
> Obviously you are not a web programmer. Every web programmer needs
> to be testing on *both* IE and firefox. On my previous OS, I ran
> IE out of Crossover with full toolbars and menus.
>
> I was therefore able to test both html rendering and javascript
> performance.
>
> I don't mean to appear brusque here but that is not the answer I
> was hoping for.
>
> Please don't tell me that you can't run IE out of wine with
> full features... <please>

I said Wine's IE is not meant for browsing. Even if it was full-featured, it's based on the mozilla gecko engine, so it's not suitable for what you want anyway.

Real IE6 and IE7 can be installed with winetricks. IE6 mostly sort of works, last time I tried IE7 it crashed on start.

Crossover includes hacks to make some things work that don't work in plain Wine, so real IE might work better in it.  But are you sure the browser you used under it was real IE, and not just wine-gecko with the missing features added? (I don't know, I don't use Crossover.)