[Wine] Does Wine support the NVIDIA 7186 drivers?

pickles95 wineforum-user at winehq.org
Thu Feb 4 10:42:31 CST 2010

A query regarding WINE support for older hardware: Does Wine support the NVIDIA 7186 drivers, or are they too old and unsupported now?

Following on from this post - http://forum.winehq.org/viewtopic.php?t=7509 and http://forum.winehq.org/viewtopic.php?t=6574&highlight=rome+total+war

I've been playing around a bit. I've tried without installing DX9 as well as using Winetricks to install DX9 (d3dx9).

With both Legion Arena and Rome Total War Demo, the games get further and did not crash if I use the open source 'nv' drivers. In the case of RTW-demo, I can even see the game starting up, with sound and see the landscape appear. But in both cases the games run so slow as to be unplayable. This may be expected I guess as 'nv' does not support 3D effects (i think).

However, if I load the NVIDIA 7186 drivers, both games just crash to the desktop in error once the game starts to run.

So they actually get further, in RTW case much further, with 'nv' than '7186' which does support 3D effects.

Is this to be expected?
Should WINE support the 7186 drivers?

My old machine:

Linux - PCLinuxOS 2009.2 (updated).
Wine - 1.1.35
Driver - 7186.06-5 on Nvidia GF2(64M) - GTS
Kernel - 2.6.26.8
KDE - 4.3.4

It looks like the PC hardware and software will run the games but only far too slowly to be usable with the open source drivers, but not at all with the NVIDIA drivers. The same PC dual boots and runs both OK in Windows.

Thanks