[Wine] Want to use Digital Oszilloscope DSO-2100 at parport LPT1

Martin Gregorie martin at gregorie.org
Thu Feb 4 16:32:20 CST 2010

On Thu, 2010-02-04 at 23:02 +0200, Gert van den Berg wrote:

> Thanks... Someone with more than 5 minutes of *nix programming
> experience... ;) I actually hoped that a Perl script might be
> possible, but that seemed unlikely... (My C coding needs exercise and
> is usually restricted to microcontrollers...)

My C is the other way up to yours - the lowest level I've written C for
is my Microware OS-9 (68020) and Flex-09 (6809) systems - and I haven't
written 6809 C for a very long time.

However, what are we trying to do? I'm asking because I'm not sure its
being achieved. In particular, you *must* use execve() to pass the
changed permissions along to a child process (in this case to wine.exe).
Then somebody would need to dig into Wine to know whether it passes them
on to the program we're asking it to run, since that's where they are
needed.

Is this something that would be better handled by other methods, i.e. by
changing the device file permissions? The obvious ways are, in ascending
order of difficulty:

1) Add the user(s) where Wine is run to the lp group.

2) run chmod on the relevant device files at boot time.
   On a RedHat system this is simply done by adding

   	chmod uga+rw /dev/lp* /dev/parport*

   to the end of /etc/rc/d/rc.local

3) modify the UDEV rules to give world access to the relevant
   device files as they are created. This means adding a local
   rules file to /etc/udev/rules.d to set the device file permissions.

Is there a driver involved, and if so, can its code be moved into some
userspace program or DLL and can the Oscilloscope program be modified to
use it?

Martin