[Wine] Re: Scripting Microsoft Office on Linux via Wine

Fudger wineforum-user at winehq.org
Thu Feb 4 21:51:21 CST 2010

oiaohm wrote:
> Yes it is possible to use com.   From inside wine in either a exe or a wine build exe ie exe.so.

Great, thanks - I'll try that.

oiaohm wrote:
> I will place a serous point here.  Wine is not what you call resource light.  If OpenOffice or other open source tools that are native will do the conversions use them.  There are many examples using OpenOffice as a conversion tool out there.

Yeah - I'm not too happy with using Microsoft Office either but it happens to render documents better than OpenOffice/StarOffice/KOffice/Abiword. I was trying PyODConverter for Python-based OpenOffice conversions but unfortunately OpenOffice fails at rendering some docx and doc documents.