[Wine] Re: Battlefront 2 extremely long level loading times

thorin wineforum-user at winehq.org
Fri Feb 5 03:59:17 CST 2010

vitamin wrote:

> thorin wrote:
> > It does seem to speed up the loading time from about five minutes to just a couple of minutes.
>
> You answered your own question - get rid of pulseaudio - it plain doesn't work.

To all trying to help:

My issue seems to stem from something not as simple as pulseaudio being a pain. It may or may not be similar to an issue encountered under windows with this game, where un-muting the stereo mixer volume in the audio control panel for their particular sound device caused battlefront 2 loading times to be significantly reduced. I may be experiencing something similar, as un-muting the control for Monitor of Internal Audio Analog Stereo in Pulseaudio seemed to reduce the loading time.

I first tried this game several years back, I believe before pulseaudio, with similar results. I am of the belief that this problem is not related to pulseaudio, and would like some help in tracking down the source of the problem. I am not interested in pulseaudio bashing. I'm aware of it's flaws, and of the typical symptoms related to it, but this situation is different, at least as far as my findings go. I have tried directly accessing the sound device without pulseaudio, same result. The level still takes several minutes to load.

If anyone has any productive suggestions, I would really be very grateful. I do appreciate your suggestions Vitamin, but I don't think pulseaudio is my problem, at least in this case.