[Wine] Re: Run linux binaries on Windows

oiaohm wineforum-user at winehq.org
Sat Feb 6 20:20:41 CST 2010

daxue the line project has existed and died.  Now decedent http://sourceforge.net/projects/winlin/ is also now looks dead.

Even one of the most advanced coders I know of had a crack at it from the Reactos project as well has had Linux emulation sub tree.  And it is dead too.

The differences between windows and linux are massive.  Problem starts at fileformat it self.  Windows is PE what is basically a coff file.   Linux is a ELF.  One big problem.   Coff structs are older than ELF.  ELF has all the functionality of Coff + extras.   So wine emulating PE not hard since a kind of PE file can be made inside a ELF file.   Windows emulating ELF nightmare from hell.

Reactos does have part ELF compatibility.  Basically as much as a NT kernel can handle.

Please beware that the Reactos developer was skilled enough to alter the NT kernel if required.   It was getting to major operation to make it work and most likely break compatibility with windows.  He is still determined to at least get a fully working posix system on Reactos.   Ok not Linux binary compatibility but it what seams achievable.

colinux the core of lina and andlinux could still be improved a lot on the memory management side.  To use dynamic resizing memory.

dexue basically you need another OS kernel to run ELF binary fully.  Because ELF binaries allow doing things that are forbin under coff like overlapping segments of the binary.  Linux smallest binary is smaller than the header to define layout of ELF.   Linux kernel itself is not that heavy thinking memory management and loader of it will be required to emulate ELF.

Please note that reactos developer today slightly hates my guts for even suggesting the idea of Linux binaries inside a NT kernel and 4 years have past.   I made the the stupid argument since it worked one way it could work the other.  Basically your argument dexue.