[Wine] Re: binding to privileged Linux ports (<= 1024)

mc2718 wineforum-user at winehq.org
Sun Feb 7 17:02:06 CST 2010

Guys, thanks for the information. There is no need to worry about me, I will be fine. Same goes regarding fears of my keeping track of what I do, or complaints about wine. The only alarming thing mentioned above is this one:

"Wine has had to so games and other bad behaving programs work emulate some of the flaws in the windows networking stack. So anything running on top is not 100 percent secure and more likely to be a security risk than using native."

As far as my box is concerned, nothing will be able to get in from the outside, whether I have it actually on the network or not, thanks to the firewall (potential future SSH vulnerabilities aside). But it is an interesting thought that I could run the policy server and the web server on in Linux... will look into that.

One last question: would having two 'wine' executables, say original 'wine' and 'wine-open' work, where wine-open has the capability turned on so that I could use that when I need it? I.e., does wine rely on having the name 'wine' for its main executable?