[Wine] Running wine via php

Martin Gregorie martin at gregorie.org
Mon Feb 8 16:42:54 CST 2010

On Mon, 2010-02-08 at 15:45 -0600, asmith wrote:
> Actually I have done that.
>
> I have setup xvfb and I've run 'Xvfb :1 &'
> and I run the command I need with:
>
> DISPLAY=:1 wine program.exe
>
> All works perfectly fine directly in shell. I have no idea why in php
> NOTHING happens. I get a blank screen. no output. no error.

Its unlikely that there aren't traces in some log file: one of the
strengths of Linux is the amount of stuff that gets into log files,
especially for web servers, when there are problems.

Its also possible that the system has mailed you reports. Have you
looked for system mail under root?

Do another test, running the wine application from PHP. Note the time
displayed by the computer. Then look in the webserver's log files and
the Linux log files. Look at the latest file for *all* the different
logfiles for your webserver and Linux, not just /var/log/messages for
the Linux set.

> I tested with another exe file,  which I created using C++ in windows.
> the program only print out a test line like 'hello!', when running.

Is that program writing to stdout or stderr?

Do the same with this program and with something that works: what's in
the logs? How does they differ from when you ran Wine?

If you can't sort out the problem from what you find in the logs with a
timestamp for the same minute when you ran the test, maybe we can help.
If its just a few lines, post it here. If its large, stitch the sections
of log together, each preceeded by the logfile name, put them on
pastebin and post the URL here.

Martin