[Wine] Run linux binaries on Windows

Martin Gregorie martin at gregorie.org
Mon Feb 8 17:01:26 CST 2010

On Mon, 2010-02-08 at 16:21 -0600, triso wrote:
> daxue wrote:
> > ...Actually, even only running command line (no GUI) binaries would
> be highly welcome, at least for science community...
>
> If you have the source code for these non-GUI programs, they are
> trivial to port from one OS to another.  I have done ports from
> obsolete mainframes, minis and micros to more modern systems.

Use wineconsole to run this type of EXE.

You still need a minimal front end because a lot of DOS command line
binaries, particularly the older ones, will use the ANSI terminal driver
to control the cursor and colour on the console using ANSI terminal
escape codes. But the Linux console uses xterm escape codes so, at a
minimum the ANSI escape codes must be translated to corresponding xterm
codes.

However, any program for which you have source and that uses termcap or
curses to handle the screen and keyboard can be trivially ported to
Linux, where it will automagically use xterm codes and should 'just
work'.

Martin