[Wine] ntdll.dll.so: invalid ELF header

ysa wineforum-user at winehq.org
Mon Feb 8 18:27:26 CST 2010

Hi,

I am using Debian GNU/Linux Lenny with kernel verison 2.6.26-2-amd64
(x86_64) and want to compile wine 1.1.38 form the source Tarball.

After successful compilation and installation through "make install",
I get the following
error when trying to run wine (e.g. when trying to run winecfg or any
other application).

wine: failed to initialize: /usr/local/lib/wine/ntdll.dll.so: invalid ELF header

To check whether this is really the case,I tried:

readelf -h /usr/local/lib/wine/ntdll.dll.so

it reports:

readelf: Error: Not an ELF file - it has the wrong magic bytes at the start

I checked whether this is really the file that I have compiled in the
source directory (wine-1.1.38/dlls/ntdll/ntdll.dll.so). It is. I made sure that there is no other version of wine installed on the system.

I also tried to run wine directly out of the source directory through the
wine-1.1.38/tools/winewrapper. I get the same error.

I guess that there is a problem with the configuration of the compile
process. However, I was not able to find any previous post in the forum or the mailing lists that addresses exactly this problem.

Does anybody know how to solve this problem?

Yves