[Wine] Does Wine support the NVIDIA 7186 drivers?

James Huk huk256 at gmail.com
Fri Feb 12 15:53:58 CST 2010

On Fri, Feb 12, 2010 at 10:36 PM, Thunderbird <wineforum-user at winehq.org> wrote:
> It is not clear what Geforce2 he is using but I would guess he uses a Geforc2 GTS/Ti/Pro/Ultra which are not supported past 7186. The Geforce2MX is supported upto 96xx but the version doesn't really matter for the supported OpenGL functionality.

You are right:

ftp://download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86/96.43.16/README/appendix-a.html

Pretty odd, I thought all GF2 cards work with this driver...

> You won't be able to run most d3d8/d3d9 games on Wine using such an old card. On Windows you are able to run more games because DirectX has software emulation for pixel shaders 1.x and other functionality.

True, actually it is even worse then that - 71.86.13 driver doesn't
support newer Xorg, so there is no way to use it with most modern
systems (unless something changed again and I don't know about it),
however if he stays with current system there should be no problems
running most pre-shader titles, after all he is not trying to run
Crysis or Fallout 3 on his PC :).

And sorry @pickles95, I red RTCW and you are trying to run RTW (RTCW -
Return to Castle Wolfenstein), still if this game is pre-shader it
should run I think.