[Wine] Need some feedback on this Printing Solution

judgedredd wineforum-user at winehq.org
Sat Feb 13 01:30:37 CST 2010

Hi, this is my first time posting and it is about something very specific.

I understand that WINE is for running windows apps under Linux, or flavors thereof, and have come across a problem with printing in Ubuntu.

My mother is in the UK and had to wipe Windows due to a Virus. I recommended that she install Ubuntu 9.10 (big mistake, as it took over 2-3 weeks to get it working with MP3 players, DVD players, email, etc seeing as we are both newbies at Linux).

We have got most of what she wants to work. Apart from getting her printer to work which is a Canon MP 130.

After trying various time gobbling procedures, none of which worked, I have come up with the solution of installing WINE, installing her printer drivers through WINE, and then printing out what she needs to print out while in WINE (after converting the doc/item into a PDF via Cups-pdf printer - which we got working correctly after two days).

Any thoughts on this?

She and I are both very upset by this switch to Ubuntu (because we didn't know it would be such a horrible and stressful experience), but since we are nearly there we have decided to get this last item dealt with (the printing). Any help would be very much appreciated.