[Wine] Need some feedback on this Printing Solution

perryh at pluto.rain.com perryh at pluto.rain.com
Sat Feb 13 03:43:25 CST 2010

"judgedredd" <wineforum-user at winehq.org> wrote:
> My mother is in the UK and had to wipe Windows due to a Virus.
> I recommended that she install Ubuntu 9.10 ...
>
> We have got most of what she wants to work. Apart from getting
> her printer to work which is a Canon MP 130.
>
> After trying various time gobbling procedures, none of which
> worked, I have come up with the solution of installing WINE,
> installing her printer drivers through WINE, and then printing out
> what she needs to print out while in WINE (after converting the
> doc/item into a PDF via Cups-pdf printer - which we got working
> correctly after two days).
>
> Any thoughts on this?

Yes, and it's not what you wanted to hear.  For the most part, Wine
doesn't handle Windows hardware drivers.  If it's a USB printer
there are some hacks that _might_ get it to work, but it would not
be an easy job and you might well not get anything out of the effort
other than more frustration.  The usual recommendation is exactly
the reverse of what you're attempting:  if needing to print from
Wine, first get the printer working in Linux (using CUPS) and have
Wine print through CUPS.

In your situation, I would first check the Ubuntu forums and see
if anyone there knows how to get this printer working under Linux
directly.  If not, she may be better off to reinstall Windows.