[Wine] Wine, ICC compilation and performance tests.

James Huk huk256 at gmail.com
Sat Feb 13 14:51:15 CST 2010

Hello everyone.

As some of you know, I was able to compile wine with Intel C++
Compiler (ICC), compilation log is located here:

http://wine.x.pl/wine-1.1.38-ICC-compilation.log.tar.gz

Some tests failed, and dxgi failed to compile (this is only related to
DX10 I think), anyway all apps I tested worked fine (Red Faction 1 &
2, 3DMark 2000,2001SE,2003,Foobar2000,Operation Flashpoint), so I did
some benchmarks using 3D Marks and... surprise – ICC is either slower
then GCC or their speeds are even. For those of you who don't know why
this is surprising, ICC is marketed as the fastest compiler for x86
architecture (fastest in terms of speed of produced code, not the
compilation time), so I would expect wine created by it to be at least
a bit faster then "normal" wine - compiled with GCC...

3D Mark2000:

wine-1.1.38-GCC scored 6020 and wine-1.1.38-ICC scored 5880 points

As we can see ICC is a bit slower here.

3D Mark2001SE:

wine-1.1.38-GCC scored 4586 and wine-1.1.38-ICC=4581 points

On 2001SE I think we can say that speed is pretty much the same.

3D Mark2003:

wine-1.1.38-GCC scored 2160 and wine-1.1.38-ICC scored 2151 points

Again very similar speeds here.

As for stability – at least in games, I don't see any difference -
today I played on it for few hours – no crashes, nothing.

I'm waiting for suggestions what kind of other benchmarks I should run.

Also if anybody knows the maintainer of this page:

http://wiki.winehq.org/icc
(is it Steven Edwards?)

I would be happy to provide compilation logs, and more benchmarks if necessary.

Best regards everyone.