[Wine] But I don't WANT the dev version!

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Sun Feb 14 11:29:19 CST 2010

On 14 February 2010 14:18, James McKenzie <jjmckenzie51 at earthlink.net> wrote:

> Now onto what seems to be your complaint:  Using the Development
> version.  The development version, with very few exceptions, is actually
> better than the so-called stable version.  There have been 38 releases
> of the development version (about one every two weeks) since the stable
> version was released.  Version 1.0.1 is basically abandonware now.  If
> you encounter a problem with it, the group here will reply with "Install
> the current development version and then tell us what happens".  If the
> stable version works, then you are welcome to use it, for now.  If it is
> broken, it is not going to be fixed.

Anyone who really wants to have the version that feels like a "dev"
version should try running the git version. This is lots of fun, if
you like breaking things, and catches regressions early!

http://wiki.winehq.org/GitWine
http://wiki.winehq.org/RegressionTesting

And you can in fact compile it in your home directory and make a
separate WINEPREFIX for it, so you can try stuff in the git trunk but
still have the reasonably reliable 1.1.x versions your distro gives
you :-)

- d.