[Wine] But I don't WANT the dev version!

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Sun Feb 14 14:10:25 CST 2010

On 14 February 2010 20:07, console <wineforum-user at winehq.org> wrote:

> Then why in the world is it called the 'stable' version?  This makes less than no sense to me.

Because it's unchanging and all its bugs are in the same place and state.

>  While I understand telling people to install the latest dev as it does fix a lot, if the stable's become 'obsolete', why haven't they released a new one?

Because "it's ready when it's ready." Though many devs do consider
this way less than ideal, and think the cycle should be faster, or
annual, or something. http://wiki.winehq.org/WineReleaseCriteria has
developer thinking on the matter.

- d.