[Wine] Running wine via php

James McKenzie jjmckenzie51 at earthlink.net
Sun Feb 14 15:46:58 CST 2010

asmith wrote:
> I created another profile for wine in /home/username/.wine/
>
> But my php still uses the root username to access, so it uses wine profile for root.

You my friend are a hacker's delight.  Hopefully your php is not public
or you have been pown'd by now.

NEVER, EVER, EVER RUN ANYTHING THAT FACES PUBLIC AS ROOT.

Now, can you change all of your apache/mysql/php directories to another
user, such as nobody so that access to your system is severely restricted?

If you CANNOT do this, at least use a user with no privileges and a
restricted user group.

Also, look at the permissions for your /temp or /tmp directory.  It
should be world read/execute for any user (rwxr-xr-s) with the file
sticky bit set (if my memory serves me correctly) that makes any file
created writable by the user that created it without directory
ownership.   Someone will step in if I'm incorrect.

The first and foremost thing is to correct the security situation you
are in, if the system is public.  If it is private, you still have to
get everything working for a user other than root.

root should ONLY be used for testing and to do things for your system
that cannot be done any other way.  BTW, Posix compliant programs will
let non-root users access ports < 1024.

I also recommend deleting the .wine directory under /root and starting
over with the user that you are going to use for php.  Any other way may
lead to problems.

James McKenzie