[Wine] Newb Help!

James McKenzie jjmckenzie51 at earthlink.net
Sun Feb 14 16:29:50 CST 2010

zoinksbob wrote:
> You're using an Intel Mac, right?  If you have a PPC, then Wine is useless.  Assuming you have an Intel Mac with at least MacOS 10.5, then your best place to start would be the Fink project.
>
> http://www.finkproject.org/download/index.php?phpLang=en
>
> Fink is a tool to help install a bunch of open source software on MacOS X.  Start by following the directions on the above page and remember that you want to go with the "Binary Release," not the "Source Release."

Or MacPorts.  Both build a completely vanilla Wine product.

Mike Kronenberg builds a product known as WineBottler which uses vanilla
Wine at its core and puts a really handy 'bottler' product as a front end.

doh123 builds a product called WineSkin.

CodeWeavers sells a product called CrossOver for the Mac (and CrossOver
Games for the Mac).

If you decide to purchase CrossOver, it comes with support provided by
CodeWeavers.

The others should use vanilla Wine at their core.

However, I 'roll' my own from source code with patches that I am working
on (with several other developers) to get a richedit function into Wine.

Suggestion:  Get the Binary Wine code from the Fink project as well as
the Fink Commander program (MacPorts should have a similar program) and
install Wine.

If you are using MacOSX Tiger on a PPC (G3/G4/G5 platform) Wine WILL NOT
WORK to run Windows programs.  You will need to get an X86 emulator like
Qemu.

If you are using MacOSX Tiger/Leopard/Snow Leopard on an Intel platform
(Core/Core Duo/Core Duo 2) then you should be good to go.

Good Luck with running Wine on your Mac.

James McKenzie