[Wine] Re: Wine, ICC compilation and performance tests.

jeffz wineforum-user at winehq.org
Sun Feb 14 17:25:40 CST 2010

James Huk wrote:
> surprise – ICC is either slower
> then GCC or their speeds are even. For those of you who don't know why
> this is surprising, ICC is marketed as the fastest compiler for x86
> architecture (fastest in terms of speed of produced code, not the
> compilation time), so I would expect wine created by it to be at least
> a bit faster then "normal" wine - compiled with GCC...

you could find out where time is being spent using oprofile, but it's not really surprising that 3dmark is the same speed, when time is going to be spent in video drivers or the applications own code rather than in win32 calls where the time is already going to be minimal or problematic by design or misuse by an application.

What you could do as a benchmark is time a Wine test run for icc compiled Wine vs gcc compiled.