[Wine] Need some feedback on this Printing Solution

Danila Sentiabov dsent.zen at gmail.com
Mon Feb 15 05:25:02 CST 2010

Wow! So much of righteous wrath in one post. Impressive.
However, this is no place to discuss how much exactly Linux (Windows/Mac)
sucks (or not). Honestly, I'd suggest /dev/null.
FWIW, I don't like Ubuntu (pretty intensively) and don't use it. I see about
any other major distro as better alternative.

On your particular problem - if your hardware vendor doesn't support Linux -
don't use that hardware or don't use Linux. It really does save your
braincells.

There are no better solutions for native use than were posted already. If
these are outdated - ask someone who actually own one of these Canon MP130s
to make an update or do it yourself or pay someone to do it. I think of one
pretty affordable solution: get a working MP130, a PC with your version of
Ubuntu installed, and lure some local nerd who'll do it for beer.

Wine doesn't support Windows drivers because it often requires superuser
access and Wine is working only in userspace - this is official policy. If
this particular driver doesn't require superuser rights - I can imagine some
solution involving starting a driver with Wine at boot time and setting up
some virtual printer with CUPS that filter everything through that driver.
Not very reliable solution though and definitely harder to implement than
making a facelift for native driver installation procedure (have you tried
Turboprint by the way?).
Anyway the most interesting part would be to have scanner working because
there is no native driver for it in Linux. I don't know the current status
of TWAIN support in Wine.

--
Best regards,
Danila Sentiabov aka dsent