[Wine] Need some feedback on this Printing Solution

James McKenzie jjmckenzie51 at earthlink.net
Mon Feb 15 09:23:31 CST 2010

oiaohm wrote:
> Wrong about super user access Danila Sentiabov.    Never super user access has never been required to run printer drivers.
>
> Basically you are a idiot to comment on printer drivers.   Windows printer drivers run in user space as the spool user.  Ie less rights than administrator same rights as selinux secured cups grants its spool processes by the way.

Source for your information on this?  I know that printer drivers
require Administrator level privileges to install and make any required
registry changes.  Those changes have to be user readable or they do not
work.

As to the requirements to install printer drivers and operate in
Windows/Linux/MacOSX.  They run at RING 0 level, kernel.  Not at Ring
2/3 (user).  Thus installing Windows only printers will NEVER happen in
Wine, as Wine strictly runs at ring 2/3.  Thus you have to get a Linux
driver in order to run in Wine.

James McKenzie