[Wine] Dell Printer Software

ajbarnes wineforum-user at winehq.org
Tue Feb 16 16:20:23 CST 2010

Short version of a long story:

My wife and I just got a Dell V313w. It's a great printer, we love it. We just can't use it.

We're a Mac family and it seems this printer requires it's Window's based software to fully enable it's capability (scanning and sending over WiFi for example).

Mac OS X will not print to it directly over any connection methods (USB, WiFi, SMB Share) due to lack of appropriate driver.

I could run Dell's proprietary software in a virtual machine but I would rather not use up that much memory just to print. And Bootcamping it would be silly.

Finally we get down to the question: What are the chances of getting Dell's software running on Snow Leopard using Wine? When I attempt the install, it says the Windows Spooler Service is not running.

Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated.