[Wine] Dell Printer Software

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Tue Feb 16 16:25:59 CST 2010

On 16 February 2010 22:20, ajbarnes <wineforum-user at winehq.org> wrote:

> My wife and I just got a Dell V313w. It's a great printer, we love it. We just can't use it.
> We're a Mac family and it seems this printer requires it's Window's based software to fully enable it's capability (scanning and sending over WiFi for example).
> Mac OS X will not print to it directly over any connection methods (USB, WiFi, SMB Share) due to lack of appropriate driver.
> I could run Dell's proprietary software in a virtual machine but I would rather not use up that much memory just to print. And Bootcamping it would be silly.

TinyXP is actually surprisingly small and, for a single program, would
run fine in 128MB.

> Finally we get down to the question: What are the chances of getting Dell's software running on Snow Leopard using Wine? When I attempt the install, it says the Windows Spooler Service is not running.

If it's a printer *driver* you haven't a hope and should rely on CUPS
(which Mac OS X and Linux use, and Apple actually develops now).

But it appears you're talking about a userland program, i.e. what Wine
appears to run. So there may be hope! Even if I don't know what it is.

- d.