[Wine] Need some feedback on this Printing Solution

Gert van den Berg wine-devel at mohag.net
Mon Feb 15 09:43:21 CST 2010

On Mon, Feb 15, 2010 at 17:23, James McKenzie wrote:

> Source for your information on this?  I know that printer drivers
> require Administrator level privileges to install and make any required
> registry changes.  Those changes have to be user readable or they do not
> work.

Non-admin users can install printer drivers (for network printers at least)
and kernel-space drivers can be disabled from group policy.... (On the
network printers: Windows seem to basically share the port, with the client
running the driver. (This has the disadvantage that you need a driver for
every OS that cleints might be running...) With CUPS, the server runs the
driver and shares some standard interface...)

> As to the requirements to install printer drivers and operate in
> Windows/Linux/MacOSX.  They run at RING 0 level, kernel.  Not at Ring
> 2/3 (user).  Thus installing Windows only printers will NEVER happen in
> Wine, as Wine strictly runs at ring 2/3.  Thus you have to get a Linux
> driver in order to run in Wine.

Pre-Windows 2000, yes....

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc758604%28WS.10%29.aspx

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms791648.aspx have some more