[Wine] Installing games on a portable harddrive using wine

Charles Davis cdavis at mymail.mines.edu
Tue Feb 16 09:37:27 CST 2010

Dalandros wrote:
> Hello I'm Chris aka Dalandros, this is my first post *bows* nice to meet you all ^__^
Nice to meet you, too. But there's really no need for introductions
around here.

> my question is if there's a possibility to install games for example "Jedi knight 2 jedi outcast" on a portable harddrive connected in the usb to the computer, instead of putting it on the harddrive. if so how is this task done?
Sure, you can do that. It's really easy to do.

The trick is to create a new "Wine prefix". The Wine prefix is where
Wine maintains a virtual Windows installation. If you create a Wine
prefix on your portable hard disk, you can install Windows programs to it.

To do this, you set the WINEPREFIX environment variable when starting
Wine, like so:

env WINEPREFIX=/path/to/wine/prefix wine program.exe

Note that, if you install a program to a different Wine prefix, Wine
will ensure that any launchers the program creates point to that Wine
prefix (by setting that environment variable).

> the reason i'm asking is since i have a eeepc 700-model (i think, or was it 701? anyway..) and i just recently got eeebuntu & wine installed on it along with spotify thanks to wine! :D
> but eeepc's aren't famous for their space, thats why i'm asking.
> all help is appreciated!
No problem!

Chip