[Wine] USB to serial adapter with TeraTerm, speed issues

Martin Gregorie martin at gregorie.org
Thu Feb 18 13:00:12 CST 2010

On Thu, 2010-02-18 at 12:01 -0600, anr78 wrote:
> I installed TeraTerm today to use it with a Prolific USB to Serial
> Adapter. I created a symlink in dosdevices (ln -s /dev/ttyUSB0 com1)
> and started TeraTerm. To my joy I got the output from my connected
> device, however, the speed is not good. This goes both for output and
> input, but especially the keyboard input is slow, and only works now
> and then.
>
> Anyone got an idea about how I can attack this?

There are perfectly good native equivalents: try minicom or kermit.

I've used both with USB->serial adapters.
Minicom is a little more straightforward to use and may be a standard
part of your distro. It deals with serial ports and, err, thats it.

Kermit is considerably more powerful and can be scripted. It can deal
with serial ports both interactively and for file transfers and is also
a telnet and ftp client. It must be obtained from
http://www.columbia.edu/kermit/ck80.html

Martin